Today is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord Jesus, celebrating the day that Mary and Joseph brought him to the temple to present him to God. Many of our sisters made their first profession of vows on that day, so this feast is always special to the sisters, reminding them of that day.
Below is a picture of the motherhouse chapel in which the sisters professed their vows. Neither the chapel nor the motherhouse exist today because of a fire in 1990, but the sisters who professed their vows on that day, know that their vows and God’s faithfulness still stand.
Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple to be prersented to God. Let us pray:
Christ, be our light.
Jesus, light of the world, you revealed the love of God to us
– let our lives lead other to the truth of God’s mercy.
Jesus, longed for savior, you are presented with the gifts of the poor;
– help us to dedicate our lives to those in need.
Jesus, child of mystery, your mother’s heart was pierced by prophecy;
– strengthen all women whos dedication to you brings pain and sorrow.
Jesus, child of promise,Simeon had waited and prayed for your coming;
– give us patience and hope as we pray for the fulfillment of your gospel.
Jesus, joy of all who seek God, Anna had given you lifelong service;
– bless the elderly and teach us how to give them joy and encouragement.
Bountiful God, you are father and mother to us. You receive the dedication of the infant Son, Jesus, with two turtle doves. You inspire aged Simeon and Anna to bless and announce his mission. O gentle, strong God, we rejoice in your care for us. Help us to draw those who turn away from yo in fear. Let the saving light of Jesus bring truth and peace to our world. This we ask in his name. Amen.
– from People’s Companion to the Breviary, Carmelite Monastery, Indianapolis, IN